Sunday, January 29, 2012

Book Review: Camille by Tess Oliver

Camille by Tess Oliver

From Goodreads.com:
At a time when society conforms to the strictest rules and most proper etiquette, sixteen-year-old Camille Kennecott and her guardian, Dr. Bennett, live a most unconventional life. They hunt werewolves.When unwitting victim, Nathaniel Strider, wanders into one of their full moon pursuits, Camille and Dr. Bennett believe they have found a specimen for their study. Finding a scientific key to unlocking the mystery of lycanthropy would end their late night excursions. Yet beneath the irresistible exterior, Nathaniel is transforming into a flesh-tearing monster, and as each experiment fails, Camille loses another inch of her soul to him. In a month’s time, she must face the prospect of destroying the boy who has stolen her heart.

Camille is one of the best YA paranormal works of fictions I have read in a long time. I was originally drawn in by the title and the cover, but honestly, the story stands well on it's own and has a great hook!

Tess creates an wonderful fantasy world within a historical fiction. I loved the characters especially Camille. She was tough and beautiful, kind and cunning, and most of all! She didn't fall down and wallow. She stood and fought. I love that!

And then there's Nathaniel Strider.... wow. Swoony boy alert! Dear friends who love the hot rebellious boys. Strider is not only naughty and tough, but he's passionate, lovable, smart, and... Scottish. Yes. He has a brogue and it's hot. Hot I tell you. :D

“He looked down at my fingers wrapped around his coat then lifted his eyes to mine. 'My tiny huntress, do you know what you've done to me?” - Nathaniel Strider to Camille

The girls who know me, know I'm a discerning swoony boy currator. I don't just fall in love. I need some deep internal character, a life, a struggle, a hotness. Nathaniel Strider is just that character. He fights battles both internally and externally all the while falling in love and being himself. Lovely!

I loved the way Camille and Nathaniel mesh and bounce off of each other. Like magnets. They attract in one way and detract in another. It's so beautifully poetic watching them as they deal with such a strange situation with such grace. Camille is old hat by the time she finds Nathaniel and she leads him through the world of Werewolves. It's very exciting to see such a leading lady. She's very much the lead in this story as she should be with this title, but occasionally, our namesake books kind of wane within the realm of female power. I don't think that's the case with Camille. Although it is set in a time when women held little or no power, she's still a leading lady and very wonderfully written.

I am so excited for the sequel! I have already downloaded it and will let you know how Nathaniel, Camille, and Dr. Bennett carry on their adventures. I hear we may see more of Emily and more paranatural beings! *happy dance*

Heart of the Huntress by Tess Oliver

I recommend Camille to anyone with a sweet tooth for paranormal and shapeshifters. Also anyone looking for a YA that has a true lead in it's female main character. Camille stole my heart right along with Nathaniel!

Enjoy!
More info can be found at www.tessoliver.com

No comments:

Post a Comment