Sunday, July 3, 2011

Book Review: Sean Griswold's Head by @lindseyleavitt Two thumbs up! Good thinkin' too!


This was a good story. Better than good... it was real. I'm not sure if that will make sense, but it's a real, good, fun story.
I kept forgetting to write my review and I found several hours of sitting in ICU gave me some time to reflect on things I hadn't taken care of like this.


Sean Griswold's Head is a great story for many... it would be a great talking point for the young ones. A great way to bring up tough topics like diseases and mortality, things that younger folks don't really contemplate at all until they're faced with it.



Now that I've been sitting in an ICU hospital room with my mom, I think I appreciate Lindsey's book even more.



When I first started reading I thought it had a good Sloppy Firsts kind of vibe, I loved the language and slang, the quick pace, all of it meshed well together. Now that it's been a bit and I'm staring at tubes and talking to nurses and smelling that disgusting over-clean smell, it makes you really think and take stock.


Just like Payton, many of us, myself included, kind of just take stuff for granted... you assume it's all well and good when no one tells you it is not well and good.


Naivete can be a good thing, but it can also be not at all good. Payton comes to this realization, but she kind of has to hit every branch as she falls out of the Real Life Sucks Tree.



I was completely head over heels for Sean.. he's a good male protag. He reminds me of the perfect sitcom boyfriend. I also loved the sarcasm. Snark is hot people. Payton and Sean have a fun dynamic.



I wasn't thrilled with Jac, the BFF, she was a little much for me. There were a few times I would've tied her by her braids to the Real Life Sucks Tree and whacked her with a wiffle bat or something, but that's okay... we all have a friend like that right?
Some of the topics in SGH can be tough to get into, but it's done so well. It can really make you think though. At least it did for me.



Lindsey did, yet again, a great job making real-life fiction fun and also a learning moment. It's nice to be entertained and get a good message. Very after-school special minus the gross outfits and poor acting. :D



I highly recommend and can't wait for more from Lindsey.

No comments:

Post a Comment