Monday, July 4, 2011

Book Review: Linger by @mstiefvater She made me cry!

Oh, Maggie. The ending of this just killed me. I knew it was coming, but it didn't make it hurt any less.


I was so wowed, I immediately started reading Forever as soon as the ARC showed up, but Linger is still stuck in my head!




The constantly changing points of view were difficult, I found myself craving Sam and Grace, but Isabel and Cole are interesting to add to the mix. I just love Sam so much. And Grace is such a fantastic female lead. I guess I'm just attached to them.


As always, Maggie has taken us into a world we could never comprehend and made it simple and ours. You sympathize with Grace's need to be a part of something and her craving for Sam and his security and love. You can familiarize with Sam's desires for loving and protecting Grace, but his need to remain loyal to Beck and his pack. Also with Sam's reticence to be an alpha, to be the boss... when you're young you might crave adulthood, but when you're the one every one is turning to for guidance, it would be nice to shirk responsibility rather than be the one to blame when it all falls to pot. I just wanted to hug Sam and tell him everything was going to be okay, even if I knew it wouldn't be. I wish I could keep Grace and Sam in my pocket and make everything better for them... make them a perfect world where they can have it all.


It's a modern day Romeo and Juliet only instead of Montagues and Capulets we have naive human and wild wolf shifters. Both, just like in R+J, have their selfish desires and self preservation in their core, but both can be beautiful as well. This is what I love about Maggie's writing... she shows us the good with the bad, the feral with the humanity, the pleasure wrapped in the pain, the kindness hidden beneath the fear. It's beautiful.


I wanna be Maggie Stiefvater when I grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment