Thursday, December 16, 2010

Review of Ballad: A Gathering of Faerie

Ballad: A Gathering of Faerie (Books of Faerie #2)


by Maggie Stiefvater



3.5 stars on Goodreads.com



I finally finished this last night. I had started it back in the summer, but unlike Lament which I flew through in a day, Ballad really dragged for me.


The writing of the story is beautiful and as always Maggie creates an amazing world with evil Fae and amazing visions in your head. Unfortunately, I was just not as interested in Maggie's new character, Nuala, even though she was a really fun character (strong, sexy, and snarky). In Lament I was completely enthralled with Dee and Luke an...moreI finally finished this last night. I had started it back in the summer, but unlike Lament which I flew through in a day, Ballad really dragged for me. The writing of the story is beautiful and as always Maggie creates an amazing world with evil Fae and amazing visions in your head. Unfortunately, I was just not as interested in Maggie's new character, Nuala, even though she was a really fun character (strong, sexy, and snarky). In Lament I was completely enthralled with Dee and Luke and I wanted to know more since the ending of Lament has you going "But, but, but!"


Throughout Ballad- you are given snippets of Dee, but not enough to really understand what's happening with her and it is told from James' POV and also from Nuala's POV, the new character. You aren't as emotionally invested in Nuala though, so it's hard to get into her story. There is a few new characters that are very interesting, especially Sullivan, the teacher that takes James and his new friends under his wing. You still get the evil Fae queen Eleanor, who should have her own book if you ask me. I love a good evil queen. Who doesn't?!


I do love how Maggie tells a story and I love how her female characters are strong and snarky. I was disappointed with how Dee comes across in this story since she even seems different than how she was in Lament. I loved her character in Lament, but in Ballad you only get part of her story and it's from James' POV and he's not as sympathetic as he was in Lament. The ending of Ballad still has you going "But, but, but!" unfortunately, I know not of a third in this series so that is also disappointing. I would like to know what happens to James and Dee.


I recommend this book to anyone who has read Lament. It is an excellent story. I just wish there had been more Dee and that there was a third in the series OR that this book was 100 pages longer with more info :)

No comments:

Post a Comment