Friday, May 27, 2011

Book Review: ARC of Tangled Past by Leah Braemel @LeahBraemel



I was interested in this story mainly due to it's poly relationship premise. I enjoy historical romances, but I don't always get into Westerns, this was a different kind of Western though. Although there were the fun cattle rustling, horse riding, dirty varment kind of stuff within the pages that you'd hope for within a Western Romance novel, Tangled Past also has an intricately woven romance story line that you normally don't see. It is unique and very well thought out.


Yes, it is a romance. There are flowery prose and professings of love, but there are two male main characters and they are vying for the love of our female lead, Sarah. They are also vying for each other as well as Sarah.


Jackson is rough edged and abrupt, but he's honest and loyal.


Nate is kind and sweet, but earnest and passionate.


I couldn't help but fall in love with both of them right along with our tough Sarah.


Sarah's life hasn't been easy and even though her tale is very realistic for this time period and sometimes hard to read about, you come to find her strength and drive very enduring and attractive. Nothing ruins a romance more in my opinion than a "wilting flower" as Miss Martha calls them, the wise sage in Tangled Past.


Leah does a lovely job of creating three distinct characters that bring three distinct pieces together into a beautiful relationship. Their connection reminded me of a symbol I have tattooed on my back, the Trinity Heart Celtic Knot. Where one piece ends, another begins so there is truly no end. I would have loved to have been able to read more, especially later in the story.


I did find several type errors that brought me out of the story a few times, but that's the beta in me. I'd love to give this story a once over before it's published to make sure it is grammatically correct and reads smoothly. This story is quite enjoyable and deserves to sparkle.


I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys historical romances, especially of the Western variety. I'm sure it's not easy setting this balance that you find in Tangled Past. Leah handles polygamy with care and it's not only emotional but beautiful and erotic. I would definitely like to read something from Leah again.


Thank you again to Carina Press for allowing me to preread their ARCs. I very much appreciate being given these opportunities!

No comments:

Post a Comment