Saturday, June 18, 2011

Book Review: Fifty Shades of Grey by EL James- Sadly misses the mark.



I really wanted to like this. I really did...

The premise starts out strong. The young innocent being sucked into a world beyond her grasp, money, power, control... but sadly, it just kind of goes wall-eyed at the end. I was so disappointed because I had such high hopes after having read the summary and speaking with the author... there was a great deal that could've been done with the character of Grey and even Steele.

It just wasn't what I had expected. I knew the story when it was a fan written story and it just kind of got lost in it's own hype. I truly hoped that the last third of her story would be completely rewritten in a new, unexpected way that I knew the author could do. I expect great things from James.

Sadly, the story wasn't redeemed when it was given the ol' publishing shine from fanfic to book.

The ending, if it had been rewritten and broadened moreso to give it a less "Days of Our Lives" aspect and more of an emotional connection, I think it would've really kept me.
Fifty Shades is a great idea, just executed listlessly. I know this was turned into a trio of tales but I don't think I'll be reading any more.
I may pick up another story of James' down the road though. I do enjoy her and her sense of humor for sure. She's an exceptionally fun and talented writer, so I expect good things from EL James in the future.

2 comments:

  1. I commend you for your honesty, BooknerdBecca. It is refreshing to see book reviewers who actually review and give their real opinion. You are total win in my book. And you're pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are sweet. Do you have a book blog?

    ReplyDelete