Friday, February 17, 2012

Friday Five and a Vlog.

I've been hiding out a lot lately, but I was told I should keep this up, whether I'm happy or sad, I should keep up my blog, so here goes Friday Five this second week of February.

1- It's been a hard few weeks. A lot of upheaval and stress. Work and home life are both very stressful right now, but I'm reading the Demonica series by Larissa Ione which is keeping me fairly sane. Pretty much the only thing right now.

2- The other thing keeping me sane is beta-reading. My two beta clients who've been keeping me busy. Nicole and Michelle, who keep sending me work. Also, my friend Season has sent me her manuscript to beta which I'll be starting this weekend. It's good to work.

3- My husband is leaving soon for basic training, he'll be gone a few days next week for pre-leave meetings, then he'll get his official leave date. Being alone for six months is very scary.

4- Sometimes, it hurts to know you aren't good enough for people you love. I've been struggling with it a lot lately... not being able to keep every one happy as well as myself. I try very hard to do everything and end up with nothing. I'm trying to focus on myself right now, so that's a lot of why I'm not as visible and not posting or reviewing as much. I am going to force myself to write this weekend and write up book reviews for the books I've read over the last two weeks.

5- Today, I took the day off due to a very bad night last night. My night involved raw sewage leaking and men at Walmart screaming at me after I defended a homeless man they were berating. Not a good night.
I was planning on taking the afternoon off any way because it's Love of Reading week and the elementary school I had taught at asked me to come read. Yesterday night gave me an excuse to take an entire day off. My first personal day in two years.
I was trying to figure out what to read to the munchkins, some who are now in third grade I had when I taught Kindergarten! I found this incredible book about Jane Goodall, Me... Jane by Patrick McDonnell of Mutts fame. The kids loved it and we had a good talk about conservation which made me miss teaching so very much.
The best part of the day though, was reading my favorite book Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst. I read it four times to four different classes. Many of them were kids I had taught in Primary and they remembered our jokes and our chants. It was perfection. It made me miss teaching and it made me long for parenthood, but it was bittersweet. I love children and I love working with them every day. I may never be able to have my own children, but being with those kids everyday is such a blessing and I am not teaching the little ones right now, but I know I'll go back in some capacity. I just hope it's sooner rather than later.
In honour of my day with the cute ones, I decided to read you all the best cure for a bad day. I hope if you are having a bad day, it helps.
Mom says, some days are just like that... even in Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment